Birthdays are important events in the lives of people. A birthday is a time to celebrate the life of a person and to acknowledge them. It is the one time each year when we can really show how much we care for a particular person. Holidays are great but they are about a particular idea or place. Birthdays allow us to focus on a single person in a way that no other special occasion does. Among birthdays there are a few that mark significant transitions in a person’s life. The 1st birthday is naturally important, as are the 13th, 20th, 30th and especially the 50th. Many people feel disappointment when they reach the age of 50. They feel like they are transitioning to a period of old age and decreased activity. In reality, turning 50 simply means is that you are moving into a new period of life, not that you are starting to die. It is actually a time of celebration; turning 50 is an accomplishment worth talking about. As a result, a 50th birthday party is a very important event and something that should be planned with care. I have included below some of my favorite ideas for 50th birthday parties.
1. The vacation party. Although most of us cannot afford to do this, a vacation is a great way to celebrate a 50th birthday. Take the birthday person and a small group of friends to a location of their choice and celebrate together. Plan relaxing activities and enjoy each other’s company. There is no better birthday than one spent with friends in a relaxing location. If you cannot afford an extravagant vacation consider a small local one.
2. Catered dinner. Nothing says that an event is important like a full catered dinner. Send invitations to your guests and request that they come in formal dress attire. They can wear tuxedos or nice dresses–something that reflects formality and celebration.
3. Story time. Another great way to spend a 50th birthday party is with friends who can talk about the birthday person. Ask certain friends to come up with stories about the birthday person to tell at the party. Have people take turns expressing how they feel about the person. This can produce a touching and funny party with lots of fond memories.
4. Games. Another great way to spend a 50th birthday party is with friends playing games. For these games I recommend something fairly involved such as a murder mystery game where everyone has parts. Other games are great but they might seem a little informal for a 50th birthday party.
5. 50th Birthday Scrapbook. This ideas is similar to story time but involves pictures and other documents from the person’s past. Have friends and family contribute pictures, old letters and anything that reminds them of the birthday person. Collect these items and create a scrapbook for the person’s life. Present the scrapbook to them at the party.
6. Hobby party. Select a hobby of the person turning fifty and theme the party accordingly. If possible, make the party into an opportunity to practice the hobby. If the person likes golf throw a golf party. If they like cards throw a poker party.
As you can see, it is best to be creative when throwing a 50th birthday party. Think about the interests of the person turning fifty, of their friends and family. The key is to create a party that is comfortable and fun. Remember that the party is mostly for the person turning 50 and not for everyone else.