Your birthday is often a fun day to celebrate, and as many know, giving gifts to the birthday person is a long standing tradition. This can be really great for the birthday boy or girl, especially when it means that they get some of those things they may have wanted or needed, but not had the money, or taken the time to get for themselves. When someone sends you a gift, or gives you one for your birthday, the polite thing to do is to send out a thank you note.
The following is a step by step guide for how to write a birthday thank you note that will be meaningful and appreciated by the person who took the time, effort, and money to get you a gift.
For the sake of illustration, let’s say you received a black jacket for your birthday. Here is how you would write the thanks you note.
1. Mention the gift specifically. A generic, “Thanks for the lovely gift” will not cut it. A better option is to say, “Thank you for the black jacket you gave me.”
2. Discuss how you plan to use it. You have acknowledged what it is that they have given you, now you need to show them you really are grateful for it, and plan to put it to use. “I am sure I will wear it a lot during this cold weather.”
3. Tell them why you like it. People want to be reassured that you liked what they chose for you, even if it is as simple as a gift card, giving them a reason you like or appreciate it is key to their satisfaction. “Black goes so well with everything in my wardrobe.”
4. Say thanks, with a personal connection of some kind. This shows that you know the gift is from them, not something that would come from just anyone. (even if it could, like a gift card, it is worth mentioning this). “Thanks again, you know me so well.”
5. Show appreciation for the thought they put into it. “I appreciate your good taste, and for thinking of me on my birthday.”
You then close the note with a “thanks” or “love” and your signature.
As a result, you get:
Dear (fill in the blank),
Thank you for the black jacket you gave me. I am sure I will wear it a lot during this cold weather. Black goes so well with everything in my wardrobe. Thanks again, you know me so well. I appreciate your good taste, and for thinking of me on my birthday.
This is very simple to do, and will make your thank you notes for more meaningful for the recipient to receive, and make them happy that they took the time to get you a gift, so it is win-win.